The closure of the 17 Avenue/69 Street S.W. intersection is planned from Friday, June 10, until Tuesday, June 14, to complete the 69 Street S.W. bridge and roadwork. With the closure extending into weekdays, the contractor is accommodating traffic during the daily peak periods when possible. Here is the schedule as to when certain streets are closing and opening:
- Friday, June 10, at 9 a.m. (after the morning peak period): Eastbound 17 Avenue S.W. and 69 Street south of 17 Avenue S.W. are closing. That means, until 6 p.m. that day, westbound 17 Avenue S.W. will remain open through the intersection and the access to and from 69 Street S.W. north of 17 Avenue S.W. will also remain open.
- Friday, June 10, at 6 p.m. (after the evening peak period): The entire intersection at 17 Avenue/69 Street S.W. closes until Monday, June 13, at 6 a.m.
- Monday, June 13, at 6 a.m. (before the morning peak period): Eastbound and westbound 17 Avenue S.W. will reopen and access to 69 Street S.W. north of 17 Avenue S.W., will reopen. Access to 69 Street S.W. south of 17 Avenue S.W. will remain closed until Tuesday, June 14.
- Tuesday, June 14, at 6 a.m. (before the morning peak period): the intersection at 17 Avenue/69 Street S.W. will fully re-open, including access to 69 Street S.W. south of 17 Avenue S.W.
Expect significant traffic delays on all days during your commute and travels, especially Friday, June 10, and Monday, June 13. During the closure, drivers will be detoured around the intersection:
- Traffic detour south of the intersection: Simcoe Boulevard/Sirocco Drive/26 Avenue S.W./77 Street S.W.
- Traffic detour north of the intersection: 73 Street S.W./14 Avenue S.W./69 Street S.W./Bow Trail
- Pedestrian detour at intersection: Pedestrians will be detoured across 17 Avenue S.W. on the west side of 69 Street S.W. while the closures are in place.
After the intersection reopens on Tuesday morning, work will continue through June to finish the curb and traffic islands within the intersection. The permanent intersection is scheduled to be restored (including new traffic signal timing and permanent left hand turn bays) in July 2011.
Keep in mind, this work is highly sensitive to weather. If the weather conditions prevent the work from going ahead it will be postponed until further notice, possibly the next weekend. Feel free to forward this e-mail and information to your members, neighbours, and colleagues in the area.