In the past few weeks the City of Calgary has released updates on issues specific to Inner City communities such as Westgate. We've put together an overview of two of the recent updates that might affect our neighbourhood or the areas around us.
Land Use Bylaw Amendment
On October 6th the City of Calgary council members approved amendments to the Land Use Bylaw. Basically, the changes passed added additional housing choices and an adjustment to the number of parking spaces required by certain types of developments.
- Added the new H-GO (Housing Grade - Oriented) district for Inner City and Centre, allowing for a range of grade oriented housing
- Residential – Grade-Oriented Infill (R-CG)(R-CGex) had a few amendments made, including permitting a Townhouse to allow units that do not directly face the street and may be located at the rear of a parcel
- Minimum parking of 0.5 stalls per unit and suite
- Standardizing minimum parking requirements across districts
For more information on these changes visit the City's Building Housing Choice page
Residential Parking Permits
City Council approved the introduction of a new parking permit type on September 14, 2022. The new Market Permit will be available to residents who live in large multi-residential buildings and will allow them to park in a Residential Parking Zone within 150 metres of their address.
There will be some stipulations with the Market Permit, such as:
- Only one Market Permit will be granted per qualifying residence and can only by used by a resident. Visitors are not permitted to use the pass
- Pass grants permission to park in the Residential Parking Zone but does not guarantee that a spot will be available
- Not all addresses within a Residential Parking Zone will qualify for permits.
Westgate is currently designated as a Residential Parking Zone. A complete map of the zones can be found here.
If you have questions about Parking Permits in Residential Parking Zone's, the Calgary Parking Authority has some FAQ's to help get an answer for you.