Keep it locked:
- Ensure vehicles are locked when parked on the street, driveway, alley, or in the garage.
- Remove keys from the vehicle, even when parked in the garage. Keep them in a safe accessible place, but not on full view and have them away from the immediate area around points of entry to the house.
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle.
- Although garage remotes are designed to sit on the sun visor of the vehicle, I would advise keeping the remote in your purse or bag and not left in the vehicle.
- Attached garages, lock the internal garage door.
- Don't consider your garage to be a secure place, remove valuable items or ensure
- Ensure all windows, especially basement windows are locked, and the locking mechanism is secure.
Doors and locks
- Solid wood or steel.
- Glass in doors at least 1 meter or 40 inches from lock or be unbreakable.
- Install peephole viewer.
- Secure all outside doors with deadbolt locks.
- Reinforce the locks with longer screws.
- Trim plants and bushes in your yard to eliminate potential hiding places for burglars. Bushes below 2 feet, and trees trimmed above 7 feet.
- Install exterior lights to brighten dark areas around doors or windows to make the more easily seen by passersby.
- Use fencing that does not conceal the yard.
- Consider thorny bushes around vulnerable area and fence lines.
- Ensure the house number is clearly visible.
When away for extended periods of time, ensure:
- Your yard is maintained with snow removal, or grass cut.
- Newspaper / free publications are removed from outside.
- Have trusted friend or family check your property regularly.
Good witness: Be on the lookout for
- Suspicious people or activities.
- Vehicles passing numerous times or parked suspiciously.
- Strangers in the neighbourhood.
- Yelling or screaming.
If you see someone acting suspiciously, take note of:
- Build, height and weight
- Hair colour and length
- Face shape
- Eye colour and shape
- Clothing type and colour
- Weapon or object.
If you’re watching an unusual vehicle:
- Make model
- Licence plate number
- Number of occupants
- Body damage, bumper sticker or decals.
- OBSERVE, RECORD, REPORT.
EMERGENCY OR CRIMES IN PROGRESS: 9-1-1
- NON EMERGENCY: 403-266-1234
- ONLINE REPORTING: http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Report-a-crime.aspx
- Graffiti: for removal 311
- Take digital photographs and email to: email@example.com